The Model A Touring club is pleased to announce the Route 66 Tour scheduled for this fall. The dates are September 26 – October 17, 2020. The tour will begin in Chicago and end in Santa Monica. The fabulous and iconic Route 66 will be the perfect backdrop for our Model A Fords as we travel the path through 8 US states.
Use the links below to print the registration form. This tour is open to Model A Touring Club (MATC) members only. If you are not a member and are interested in joining, see our Membership page for information about how to join.
Proposed MATC Route 66 Tour
September 26 – October 17, 2020
- Day 1: (Sat., Sep. 26) Welcome meet & greet at Chicago Hotel.
- Day 2: (Sun., Sep. 27) Leave Grant Park, Chicago at 9 AM. Arrive Pontiac, Illinois. There are at least three Rte. 66 museums along the way. Group dinner. 106 miles.
- Day 3: (Mon., Sep. 28) Finish museums in Pontiac. Leave Pontiac, Illinois, arrive Springfield, Illinois. 106 miles.
- Day 4: (Tues., Sep. 29) Springfield, Illinois to St. Louis. Missouri. We will have a permit to cross the Old Chain of Rocks Bridge. 97 miles.
- Day 5: (Wed., Sep. 30) Remain in St. Louis, Missouri. 0 miles. River cruise.
- Day 6: (Thurs., Oct. 1) St. Louis to Lebanon, Missouri. 168 miles.
- Day 7: (Fri., Oct. 2) Lebanon, Missouri to Carthage, MO. 110 miles.
- Day 8: (Sat., Oct. 3) Carthage, Missouri to Stroud, Oklahoma. Tour Route 66 Interpretive Center. 177 miles.
- Day 9: (Sun., Oct. 4) Stroud, Oklahoma to Elk City, OK. 170 miles.
- Day 10: (Mon., Oct. 5) Elk City, OK to Amarillo, Texas. 148 miles.
- Day 11: (Tues., Oct. 6) Amarillo, Texas to Tucumcari, New Mexico. Visit the most preserved town from the Route 66 era. 115 miles.
- Day 12: (Wed., Oct. 7) Remain in Tucumcari, New Mexico. 0 miles.
- Day 13: (Thurs., Oct. 8) Tucumcari, New Mexico to Santa Fe, New Mexico, via the Santa Fe Loop. 178 miles.
- Day 14: (Fri., Oct. 9) Remain in Santa Fe, New Mexico. 0 miles.
- Day 15: (Sat., Oct. 10) Santa Fe, NM to Gallup, NM, via the Santa Fe Loop. 199 miles.
- Day 16: (Sun., Oct. 11) Gallop, New Mexico to Winslow, AZ. Visit the Painted Desert and Petrified Forest. 128 miles.
- Day 17: (Mon., Oct. 12) Winslow, Arizona to Williams, Arizona. Group Dinner. 90 miles.
- Day 18: (Tues., Oct. 13) Take train to the Grand Canyon. 0 miles Group breakfast. Train to Grand Canyon, tour of South Rim.
- Day 19: (Wed., Oct. 14) Return train to Williams, AZ via train. 0 miles.
- Day 20: (Thurs., Oct. 15) Williams, AZ to Laughlin, Nevada. 146 miles.
- Day 21: (Fri., Oct. 16) Laughlin, Nevada to the San Bernardino, California. This will be our longest day at 250 miles.
- Day 22: (Sat., Oct. 17) San Bernardino, California to the end of Route 66 at the Santa Monica, California, Pier. After the pier, we will have a private tour of the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo. Group dinner. 89 miles.
On Sunday, Oct. 18, participants will continue on their own individual
itinerary or return home.
3 thoughts on “Route 66 Tour – Sept 26 – Oct 17 2020”
Pat Great itinerary. Is Grand Canyon part of Route 66 or just a great side trip M J
On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 7:24 AM Model A Touring Club wrote:
> Model A Touring Club posted: “The Model A Touring club is pleased to > announce the Route 66 Tour
Hi, MJ. Actually, Williams AZ is on Rte. 66 and that’s where the train to the Canyon leaves from… We were going to be so close, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to visit the Canyon!
Hi, MJ! Actually, Williams AZ is on Rte. 66 and that’s where the train to the Grand Canyon leaves from. We were going to be so close, we couldn’t pass up the opportunity to see the Canyon!