With regret, the tour leaders and the MATC Board have decided to postpone the Fall Route 66 Tour for the following reasons:
- Various areas in the country are proceeding to open up and lessen virus restrictions, but regulations are not uniform.
- In the eight states on the tour itinerary, some areas are showing improved Covid-19 illness and death rates, but other places show still increasing rates.
- Some tourist activities hesitate to guarantee access for us.
- The CDC (Center for Disease Control) continues to recommend limiting non-essential travel because travel increases the chance of getting and spreading COVID-19.
- Car travel seems safe but making stops along the way for gas, food, or bathroom breaks can put the travelers in close contact with other people and surfaces.
- While traveling, it is possible a state or local government could impose new travel restrictions, such as stay-at-home or shelter-in-place orders, mandated quarantines upon arrival, or even state border closures. (At this writing, the US-Canada border is still closed and we have one Canadian participant.)
- Many of the tour participants are in the age bracket considered susceptible to the most serious Covid-19 complications, and some of us also have underlying medical conditions.
The Board has authorized full refunds to the members who made deposits toward Rte. 66 tour costs. These will be processed as soon as possible.
We apologize, and we hope to see you on a future tour.
Jay and Pat
3 thoughts on “Route 66 Tour Postponed”
Sad but necessary!Double Dogshit!!AlSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
How sad Pat but most likely the right thing to do. I plan to take this tour in my not so old touring van when the world opens up. M J
On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 3:10 PM Model A Touring Club wrote:
> Model A Touring Club posted: “With regret, the tour leaders and the MATC > Board have decided to postpone the Fall Route 66 Tour, possibly until > Spring 2021, for the following reasons: Various areas in the country are > proceeding to open up and lessen virus restrictions, but regulation” >
Give Pat and Jay a thumbs up for all the work they have put in to keep the Touring Club chugging along despite all the roadblocks
Good job you two.