With regret, the tour leaders and the MATC Board have decided to postpone the Fall Route 66 Tour, possibly until Spring 2021, for the following reasons:
- Various areas in the country are proceeding to open up and lessen virus restrictions, but regulations are not uniform.
- In the eight states on the tour itinerary, some areas are showing improved Covid-19 illness and death rates, but other places show still increasing rates.
- Some tourist activities hesitate to guarantee access for us.
- The CDC (Center for Disease Control) continues to recommend limiting non-essential travel because travel increases the chance of getting and spreading COVID-19.
- Car travel seems safe but making stops along the way for gas, food, or bathroom breaks can put the travelers in close contact with other people and surfaces.
- While traveling, it is possible a state or local government could impose new travel restrictions, such as stay-at-home or shelter-in-place orders, mandated quarantines upon arrival, or even state border closures. (At this writing, the US-Canada border is still closed and we have one Canadian participant.)
- Many of the tour participants are in the age bracket considered susceptible to the most serious Covid-19 complications, and some of us also have underlying medical conditions.
The Board has authorized full refunds to the members who made deposits toward Rte. 66 tour costs. These will be processed as soon as possible.
We apologize, and we hope to see you on a future tour.
Jay and Pat